CU Denver’s online Master of Arts in Research and Evaluation Methods provides an opportunity for those who are interested in improving the quality of education in schools and community organizations through high-quality research and evaluation, data-driven decisions and the dissemination of evidence-based research. Many of our alumni go on to become researchers, evaluators, consultants and school leaders in Colorado and throughout the world.
As a student in this program, you’ll be encouraged to examine real-world challenges impacting education and society today. You’ll learn how to address real-life issues through research and evaluation studies, from defining problems to conducting the study itself. In addition to basic coursework, you’ll develop your skills using software and learn by using real-life data in practicums and internships.
Our students come from a wide array of backgrounds, usually educational and often psychological. After gaining admission to the program, your course of study will guide you through the various competencies that are required.
You’ll learn to solve important assessment questions by:
- Skillfully identifying and articulating questions to ask in urban and rural environments
- Recognizing appropriate sources of information to collect data
- Designing methods of data collection such as questionnaires and interview protocols
- Analyzing data using quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods
- Using Excel, SPSS, Dedoose, Qualtrics and other data analysis software programs
- Interpreting data and preparing presentations and reports
At the end of the program, you'll complete a practicum, an independent study project or a master's thesis. You will need to perform satisfactorily on a written, comprehensive examination.